Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Hello from Nagoya

Hello all,

We've arrived in Nagoya, and are quickly adjusting to the two million person population density change.

Miraculously, we have free wifi internet courtesy of someone in this place. I'll snap some pictures of our new, luxurious living space in a short while (it's about the size of a smaller motel room).

I'm flowing with University of Oregon pride right now; ESPN is now absolutely in love with the football program, and now that they've actually visited Oregon, maybe they won't be so East coast stingy in their columns. Here's an excerpt from Pat Forde's column:

"Point After
The Dash spent quality time in Oregon for the first time last weekend and came away quite impressed. Pretty cool when you see people walking off the light rail system in downtown Portland with their skis on their shoulders. But on to the pertinent stuff:
When thirsty in Portland, The Dash recommends sucking up a few in-house microbrews at McMenamin's (39). The Hopicidal IPA was especially righteous.

And when thirsty in Eugene, The Dash recommends a pint of local microbrew Mirror Pond Pale Ale at Rennie's (40), a classic college joint near campus. The Rennie's Lemonade came highly recommended and wasn't bad -- but this is a beer-centric column. Get your fruity drinks -- even ones with about four types of alcohol mixed in -- elsewhere.

(The Dash thanks the eager and hospitable Ducks fans who showed off their town to a first-time visitor. Good show, guys.)"

I guess we're on the map now. McMenamins and Rennie's I'm sure are going to benefit from the free advertising space.

On to better things: Jill's been working for a few days now; I'll write a separate blog post detailing my interview experience when the equivalent of the Great Depression of Language Schools has hit Japan.

Take care, everybody. Sorry it's been so long!

Jake

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Damn, those comments about beer just reminded me about a show I missed on PBS tonight, called Beervana, about the micro-brewing history of Oregon. I recently purchased a 12-pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon for $6.99, in part because Tynan recommended it as the only "union-made beer" and because an amazing jazz pianist Art Tatum drank "quart after quart" of it. Alas, it's no mirror pond.

I just want to send encouragement that no matter how unimaginably small your place may seem to be, it likely will never rival our closet called home in Cambridge. And in today's dollars, we only had to pay like $1800/month for it!!

Hope you're having a time of it.